1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why aren't my eggs pipping yet?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by paulandmisty, Feb 12, 2012.

1. paulandmisty

paulandmisty New Egg

Feb 9, 2012
    It is the end of day 20 for my first hatch of eggs and I'm worried that I haven't heard any pipping yet. Should I be concerned?

2. Wjeffgriggs

Wjeffgriggs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2011
    NOTE that I am a rookie but that does not sound normal. I would candle the eggs. ( hold the egg over a nice bright mag flash light). At that point it should be almost completely dark looking through the egg and I would think you would be able to detect some movement.

3. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    When people refer to pipping, they are talking about the chick pecking a tiny hole from the inside. Other than maybe hearing a piece of shell fly off, there is really nothing to hear. Sometimes you will hear the chick peeping from inside the shell.

The pip looks like a tiny crack, sometimes like a tiny volcano sticking up.

Good luck with your hatch.

Deb

4. paulandmisty

paulandmisty New Egg

Feb 9, 2012
    Sorry! I meant to type peeping. And it is now the end of day 21 with no peeping, but candling has shown movement in the eggs, and the eggs are completely dark save for the air sack.

5. paulandmisty

paulandmisty New Egg

Feb 9, 2012
    Seriously, need help! Day 21, candling movement, but no peeping. What's wrong??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by