Why aren't my hens laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lady_Grey, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Lady_Grey

Lady_Grey Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2011
    Hello,

I just joined, and am *very* grateful that there is a forum out there full of people who know chickens. Hurrah! I have a flock of 21 hens, mixed breeds, about 6 months old, some laying since late August. Out of all 21, the most eggs I've gotten on any one day has been 11, though most days I tend to get a measly 6 or 7. I light their coop to give them 15 hours total of light, they have plenty of feed and water, they don't appear to be ill, it's not extremely hot or cold out, I see no evidence of egg eating, and there's no possible place they could be hiding their eggs. Perplexing. Does anybody have any ideas? Or do I have 10+ chicken pies out in the coop?

Thanks,
    Lady Grey

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  2. sjmarshall87

sjmarshall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Carthage
    Im having similar issues.. I have 28 hens and only 2 are laying.. they are 25 wks old.. The best advice I was getting was to keep them locked up later.. Noon-ish is when I let mine out.. Although I am still only getting 2 eggs [​IMG]

3. BetterHensandGardens

BetterHensandGardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Clinton, OH
    What kind of chickens do you have? Some chickens breeds don't start laying until about 24 - 26 weeks old, maybe all yours haven't started laying yet?

4. faerielady

faerielady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2009
    Oklahoma
    What breed are they? What do you feed them? Free range or cooped? Hours of daylight a day?

Really need more information... however, most likely they just aren't mature enough yet.

5. Lady_Grey

Sep 28, 2011
    Oh, let me see... I have Silver-Laced Wyandottes, New Hampshire Reds, Black Australorps, Partridge Rocks, Buff Minorcas, Brown, White, and Red Leghorns, and Araucanas. They have a big coop and free access to an ample run. I feed them with a mix that a family at church makes from local grains - oats, wheat, barley, lentils and such, with that supplement thing that seems to come from seaweed. It's dusty, so I mix it with water.

6. sjmarshall87

sjmarshall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Carthage
    Quote:You do not provide a commercial feed?

7. Lady_Grey

Sep 28, 2011

Nope, but they tell me it is nutritionally equivalent, or indeed superior. They and some other folks who buy it from them have had good results.

We had a long heat wave (mid-high 90s) that ended a week or two ago... would that set them back?

8. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo

Nope, but they tell me it is nutritionally equivalent, or indeed superior. They and some other folks who buy it from them have had good results.

We had a long heat wave (mid-high 90s) that ended a week or two ago... would that set them back?

It may be equivalent to a 'scratch" feed, but will not be equivalent to a "grower" "flock raiser" or "layer" feed. They are completely nutritious feeds that you're not getting with the grain mix. Those scratch grain mixes are given as "treats" basically. They need a 'complete" feed.

9. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    having the same problem I have 19 over 24 weeks and I get maybe 6 eggs a day... I think I ma just rusing them I have several different breeds. and some heaby breeds. I jsut need to stop watching the kettle so it can boil.. did your grandma say that one too...

good luck with your girls..
    )O(
    Pink

10. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Quote:Nope, but they tell me it is nutritionally equivalent, or indeed superior. They and some other folks who buy it from them have had good results.

It may be equivalent to a 'scratch" feed, but will not be equivalent to a "grower" "flock raiser" or "layer" feed. They are completely nutritious feeds that you're not getting with the grain mix. Those scratch grain mixes are given as "treats" basically. They need a 'complete" feed.

The OP says it has the grains, legumes & a supplement which I would think is a mineral supplement. It may very well be a complete feed, just made locally. There are many recipes for feed that contain whole grains & a supplement like Fertrell's Nutri balancer and they are complete feeds. Complete feed doesn't only come in pellet form.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by