1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

why arent my quails producing eggs? :(

Discussion in 'Quail' started by kinsley98, Feb 10, 2015.

1. kinsley98

kinsley98 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2014
    uk
    Hi everyone i got 17 cortnix quails i have 5 males and 12 females i had them for 2 months now and they are in the aviary with some other birds like 2 ducks and 2 pigeons. They have no layed a single egg and i dont know why. I made these boxes for them where they can shelter when it's windy and i have put hay in them *the aviary has got a ceiling*. They do sleep inside them but they have never layed an egg any one can sugest why? I feed them chick crumbs and some corn should i maybe try to feed them something different? Any suggestions pls?

2. shotgunrem14

shotgunrem14 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2014
    Alabama
    Lack of Light is the issue. Quail do not naturally lay this time of year because the days are shorter. If you want them to start laying you can put a light on them to make sure they get 14-16 hours of light. However, it will still take 3-4 weeks for them to start laying. Natural my they will start laying in the spring which isn't that far anyhow. You should start feeding them a Game Bird Feed as they are game birds.

3. kinsley98

kinsley98 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2014
    uk
    Ohh i didn t know about the light thing thanks. What does game bird food consist of? Like what seeds bcs i never came across game bird food

4. shotgunrem14

Aug 19, 2014
    Alabama
    What I buy comes in a crumble. Looks the same as chick starter. You can get it at your local feed store I'm sure.

5. jopheso

jopheso Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2015
    Im a noob to this myself, but I was told by a friend who has over 1000 quail and a thriving business, that you have to give them the light as was explained above and also feed them a laying feed, which includes lysin(sp?)

6. deserthotwings

deserthotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Queen Creek AZ
    The artificial light thing will keep them laying but it will also shorten their life span considerably. Kind of like you if you worked for 22 hours a day and only slept for 2. Your birds should be fed feed that contains at least 20% protein. With what your now feeding them they will probably never lay, with or without light. And if they do your fertility will be way low. Try feeding Purina Game Bird Chow or Meat Bird. They are high in protein and most feed stores carry one or both and if they don't they can order it for you. Good Luck with your birds.

7. shotgunrem14

Aug 19, 2014
    Alabama
    did your birds ever start laying Kinsley?

8. React11

React11 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2015
    Dhaka, Bangladesh.
    Light is the main factor.. Give them light and food that contains minimum 3% calcium.. If you do so i blv that your birds will start laying eggs...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by