Why aren't my roosters crowing?

chickenjones

Songster
10 Years
Jun 30, 2009
Burleson, TX
I have four roosters (long story) 2 RIR and 2 Plymouth Rock. They were hatched together. They are grown now. Watching them grow up I noticed something. Only the Plymouth Rocks crow. First the largest one, then the other, kind of in competition. I have never seen or heard the RIR crow. I am trying to find homes for three of them. I actually gave one of the RIR's to a very nice man today. The PR's pick on the RIR's. Is that why they don't crow? Will they crow once they are away from the others? I am keeping one rooster and I think I may keep the RIR because the other two are so mean. Well the leader is mean, the other PR is a follower. I know there is a literal pecking order. I am new to this, but learning quick! Any ideas or thoughts would be great. Should I keep a PR because its dominant (and if so, which one)? or should I keep the docile RIR and let him have a chance at the hens (when I get them)? I am trying to get them homes soon because the one PR has gotten pretty aggressive and because my husband says if I don't we'll be eating them! I eat chicken all the time but its a little different to me after I have watched them grow up in my yard!

Can't really help with your decision, but just wanted to caution that the "mild mannered" roosters may change their style when they become top dog. Just because they are docile now, doesn't mean they will be when they are alone. Just thought you might want to base your decision on more than who is aggressive right now, unless the PR is really over the top aggressive and not just protecting his hens.

Thanks Cindy,
I wondered about that too. Right now we don't have any hens for them to protect or fight over. They are just boys being boys right now. They are funny. They look like bulls running at each other with heads down and feathers out.

Now that the one RIR is gone the poor guy is basically shunned from the group. He stands way to the side and the other two stick together. What a clique!
lol.png

Melody

Yes, they will crow.
smile.png
Some roosters crow later and yes, part of that can be from a behavioral disinclination to crow when a larger, more aggressive rooster is present.

I agree that personalities can change. We have about 15 roosters (sanctuary) and some roosters come to us quite shy, timid, non-crowers and turn into confident jerks given time.

How would having a dominant roo around help you? I like a bit of confidence in a roo, but the most protective rooster in our flock is NOT a jerk to the other roosters - he leads with body language, rarely ever fights, and is really great with the hens. Our most rooster-aggressive rooster (a silkie) is always getting into fights and is a total jerk with the hens.

So no real help there....adding hens to the mix can alter behavior too.

Thanks for your reply. Honestly the big PR seems like a jerk to me all around. My husband is no help. I am a city girl and he is a farm boy but he has never had four roosters at once and he doesn't feel for them as I do. Ha ha. Understandable...I am such a girl!
roll.png

where is your sanctuary?

ha ha. believe me I know! I have the other two that crow when my husband gets up for work in the AM (around 4:30)! They go back and forth. I am not missing the extra noise, I just wondered why they have never done it and the other to have for months.
smile.png

I heard (and frm expeirience in key west) that most roosters will crow mainly if they hear a rooster of another flock or when they are wakin up or goin 2 bed. mine only crow when im near him. hope this helps.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom