Why aren't my silkies going broody?

happyhens

Songster
12 Years
Jan 30, 2007
KY
I have 4 silkie pullets/hens (one is about a year old and the others are a couple months older). Between the four of them, I am getting 1 or 2 silkie eggs a day. I keep expecting one of them to go broody, but none of them ever do. I bought them so they could hatch eggs for me, so far that plan isn't working at all. They aren't cooperating at all lol.

I let them build up for about 3 days then gather them. Is that not long enough? Usually in 3 days there are about 4 or 5 eggs in it (there are some other chickens that lay in the same nest)

Quote:
But that's what I WANT them to do lol, that's why I bought them in the first place. The other reason I bought them was because they are really, really cute. But they still need to do something!

I know its not what you want from your broodies, but I would say that they are worth their weight in gold! Usually the problem is that they are TOO broody and never lay. You cant really make them become broody, but I would try to leave the eggs in there for longer, and sooner or later, one of them will be bitten by the broody bug.

Most chickens will build their clutch up over a couple of weeks. Three days, even if others are laying in their nests, is not enough.

Leave the eggs (or at least some a handful) in their nest. You can mark them by day, who laid them or whatever, but let them slowly build up their nest for a couple of weeks. If it takes more than a couple of weeks for someone to go broody, then rotate the oldest eggs out.

Back
Top Bottom