why aren't they laying and why do they roost in nesting boxes???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sbot69, Dec 17, 2014.

1. sbot69

sbot69 New Egg

Dec 17, 2014
    Hello been on forum for awhile, but this is first post. Being raising layers for about 3.5 years now. Never really had any problems till about 3 months ago everyone quite laying. I do have 2 roosters, one from original purchase spring of 2010 and one from last springs purchase, and 14 hens. They have a 40ft x 20ft run and an indoor coop about 8x10x8. 3 nesting boxes and 4 perch poles in coop. Also cannot keep them from roosting overnight in nesting boxes. All help is greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance.

2. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    Are they in molt?
    Some breeds will stop laying in the Winter. It is a natural 'break' in their cycle. They will begin laying again when the daylight increases.

As for roosting in the nesting boxes, if this is a new occurance, my guess would be that they are warmer. You said you had poles as roosts. A chicken will cover their feet when it is cold to keep them warm, if their feet are wrapped around a pole they cannot warm them. Most people will suggest a 2X4 with the wide side up so that they can cover their feet while still roosting comfortably. It may take a bit of work to break them now. Probably a few nights of moving them from teh boxes to a new roost!

3. sbot69

sbot69 New Egg

Dec 17, 2014
    great suggestion on the poles to 2x4,s i will try it. NO they have been roosting in boxes since the first group. As far as molting they stopped laying way back in september not a single egg in 3-4 months. have experienced molting before in winter but nothing this extreme. thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by