Why aren't they laying yet??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GratefulGreens, Jul 4, 2010.

1. GratefulGreens

GratefulGreens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    I may be being too impatient, but....

About 6-7 weeks ago we got our first chickens - 3 Cinnamon Queens and 2 Buff Orpingtons, one of which turned out to be a rooster. They seem to be fairly happy in their new home. The poultry farmer (an experienced one at that) told us when we bought them that they should be laying w/ in the next 2-3 weeks. Well, like I said that was about 7 weeks ago and stnothing. Sooo...we took out our rooster and we're now just letting him roam, although he won't leave the coop. The hens kinda follow him around the sides too. We took him out b/c we thought that he was upsetting them - he tends to peck at them all a lot and kind of "herd" them around wherever he wants them.
    Do you think we did the right thing by taking him out? Any other ideas as to why they may not be laying? I'm embarrassed to say, I don't exactly know how old they are, other than the above information given to us by the poultry farmer [​IMG] TIA!

2. burquechick

burquechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    Yeah, they told me the same thing. It's more like, they need to be 5-6 months old before they lay. You will know when the hens are about to lay because their combs will all of a sudden get a lot bigger and brighter red. Then should lay within a month after that.

3. GratefulGreens

Jul 2, 2010
    Thanks! My BO has a pretty dark red comb....I've not paid much attention to the little combs on the CQ's yet....

4. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    Do they sqaut at all? The buff orps could lay later, mine didn't lay until 6 months old-almost exactly at 6 months. Cinnemon queens I would think would lay pretty early though. And, since you don't know the exact age they might be a bit younger. Feed could also effect when they lay I think..just like ones that are laying and get switched may have a drop/increase in prodcution.

5. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I would leave the rooster in with the hens. He won't be happy alone, and he will also protect them. Unless he mates them too much and starts to hurt them, they probably like him around. I would not expect them to not lay eggs because of the rooster.

Depending on where you live, it's possible that the heat could be slowing them down. When their bodies are stressed, sometimes it's harder. Make sure they have plenty of fresh water to drink all the time.

If you don't see blood red faces and combs though, they're probably just not old enough yet.

If you do think they're old enough, you can sometimes help them along by adding a small percentage of calf manna to their food for a little while to boost their nutrients and give them a little kick start.

6. GratefulGreens

Jul 2, 2010
    Thanks! This is helpful! We did change their feed from what they've been raised on prior to us, but that type of feed is not as easily accessible. The farmer purchased it from the Amish in KY, which are not FAR from us, but we just haven't had a chance to get up there just yet, but we plan to do so this next weekend.
    Also, my husband is going to put the rooster back. The girls keep running to him, so yeah, I think they're missing him [​IMG]
    And PunkinPeep - yes, it's quite hot here lately....however, this past week, not as humid as it has been. Usually about 90-95 degrees. I do make sure they have fresh water, b/c I can only imagine how it would feel to be out in that heat all the time. We had also put a tarp over the run for shade during the daytime.

7. GratefulGreens

Jul 2, 2010
    Quote:No squatting....that I've noticed that is. I did see my BO hen squatting earlier, but it was while I had taken their watering can away to refill, and it was a cool, wet spot in the dirt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by