Why aren't they laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rancher hicks, Oct 22, 2009.

1. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I have four Dels of some age, I bought already laying. Anyhow i know their eggs as one lays speckled or spotted eggs. I haven't seen any lately. They are old enough to lay larger eggs. I've checked the yare and found one but not sure who laid it or when.
    I kept the in the run till 2pm but only found 4 eggs for 22 hens. Is this a light problem? How can I tell how old they are the four that is. The other 18 are only 8mos. old.
    I have plans to put a light in the coop. How may use lights and does it help. I plan to use a automatice light timeer. How many hours of light would be good? I need more eggs. I have buyers.
    I alos plan to change out some birds for RIR's as they are better layers. But I WILL NOT GIVE UP MY DELS.

2. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Whats the weather like? Is there anything new that they are getting used too? Is there possibly any stres?

3. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    Where are you? I have 14 hens. I was getting 10-12 eggs a day and slowly as the days have gotten shorter I am getting less eggs. Today it was down to 2 eggs. I also have people waiting for eggs, so the timer and light went out tonight. I hope it works.

4. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    well I've been getting 7-8 eggs. yesterday 11. I've been giveing them extra feed out side thou they get what ever they want inside. It's been cold and rainy the last couple of days and it's only in the fifties. I have been sick so they aren't getting out til around 8 some days. I checked the yard but nothing there so I guess they just aren't laying.
    I was reading that hens get bald on their butts as they get older and I figure a couple of the Dels are getting too old? Is that true?
    I do seem to notice less eggs on the days I let them run in the yard. I don't find eggs anywhere thou.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by