Why arent they laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by thechickman04, Feb 22, 2008.

1. thechickman04

thechickman04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    I have 23 hens black sex links. buff orpingtons, and barred rocks. they are atleast twenty two weeks old, but none of them are laying eggs. Why do you think they are not laying eggs?

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Could be any number of reasons including not being quite old enough. You don't sound like you're exactly sure of their age and some of the large breeds are a little slower to start.
    Where are you? Is it cold there now? Do you have a light on to extend their day? Are you feeding them a good quality layer formula? Do you have a neighbor that might be stealing eggs? [just kidding about that last one]
    Be patient with 23 PULLETS about to come into lay you'll soon be wondering what to do with all the eggs.

3. thechickman04

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    i live in georgia soo it is pretty warm.....but thanks for the info.

4. bills

bills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    vancouver island
    The length of light hours, as mentioned plays a big role in egg production. You should have at least 15 hours of light. I have no idea how many hours of natural daylight you get in Georgia at this time of year, but you could put a light on a timer, to come on early in the morning, to extend the hours. A minimum of 16% protein diet, preferably laying feed, is req'd as well. If they are free ranging, or getting lots of scratch, and kitchen scraps, the protein levels may not be at optimum.

I would think that if these requirments are met you should be getting some eggs, with birds that age?

5. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    I live in Georgia and have some 21 week olds. I will be watching this thread. I have no idea when they will start but I will post when mine do. Maybe since we are in very similar climates they will start about the same time. I will say my older girls started a little late in age. Close to 30 weeks. When I was just about to give up on having eggs I walked in one day and found one and was giving eggs away within weeks with just 5 hens.

6. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:Hens are just like any other woman... They do what they want, when they want, with really no explaination.
    Give them a little more time... Then be prepared for the flood gates to open!

7. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    Are yours laying yet? Mine that are a week younger are starting to lay.

8. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    you can never predict when nuw pullets will start laying.they lay in their own sweet time.some start laying at 18 to 20 weeks.an some 6 to 8 months of age.

9. bills

bills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    vancouver island
    Quote:6 to 8 months...Yikes. I hope my non-layers don't take that long to start. Thats a lot of feed for no return...

I'm still waiting for two of the six to start laying, at close to 5 months of age. One is laying an egg every second day, and three are laying daily. I expected full production from all birds at this age, being ISA Browns. I'm getting impatient, as I have buyers for eggs lined up. We tend to eat most of the eggs now, but have had a few dozen to hand out as teasers.

I guess it's like watching the kettle to come to boil, it always takes longer if you watch.[​IMG]

10. thechickman04

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    i forgot to tell every one that im getting 14 to 18 eggs a day

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by