why aren't they laying??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenboy7c2d, Nov 6, 2010.

1. chickenboy7c2d

chickenboy7c2d Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Surrey, England, UK
    my chickens should be laying all year round concidering they're hybrids but they are only laying 1 or 2 eggs a day between the 7 of them. why aren't they laying??

2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Tough to tell from your short description. Could be many things. How old are they? Are they going through a moult? Have you checked for external and internal parasites? What are you feeding them? Have you moved them to a new coop recently? Do they free range and could they be laying in a hidden nest? These are just some things that could cause your lack of eggs.

3. chickenboy7c2d

Mar 10, 2010
    Surrey, England, UK
    they are all between 6 months and 18 months. yes there are a few feathers here and there. no parisites. we're feeding them pellets, corn, mealworms, soya beans and veg scraps. no move of coop. they do free range and i've checked for external nests. SEEMS LIKE ITS THE MOULT.

4. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Well the younger ones might not be laying yet. I have four Ameraucana pullets that are eight months and they are just starting to lay now. I have three Wyandotte pullets that are going to be six months in a few days and they are not laying yet. The older ones might be going through a moult and the amount of sunlight (shorter days now) may also be affecting their laying as well. You could try putting a light in the coop so they have longer hours of light. What breeds do you have?

5. Brodes

Brodes Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2009
    Mount Desert, Maine
    I haven't seen any mention of light yet. They do need some artificial light to extend these shorter days. I try for 14 hours of light per day and that seems to help.

M

6. chickenboy7c2d

Mar 10, 2010
    Surrey, England, UK
    i have all hybrids

7. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Quote:Supplemental lighting makes a HUGE difference!

8. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
  9. viktoriacl

viktoriacl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    So I read on here that its too late to add light. Is it or no? I took my light out because I read that if you add it after the natural daylight has gone below the amount of hours they need it is then too late and might even stress them to add it now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by