Why aren't they laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by St George Farm, Aug 2, 2011.

1. St George Farm

St George Farm Just Hatched

Aug 2, 2011
    Last weekend we brought the new coop home and set it up. Then we went to the Amish farm for 4 adult chickens. They told me they were about a year old and were laying. They came from a large open coop with many hens and a couple of roosters. So I've checked for 3 mornings and no eggs. I understand that they were shook up and might need some adjustment time (how long?). They have 2 large nestboxes between the 4 of them. I bought pellets at Agway and have given them fresh water, greens/fruit and today crushed egg shells. Should I put a wooden egg in the nest box?

2. GhostRider65

GhostRider65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Wisconsin
    I would buy them some layena, or layer pellets, and give them a week to get settled. keep us posted.
    greens are good so are bugs, but they need a balanced diet from a layer formula so that they get the nutrition they need to lay, I also give mine wild bird seed mixed with organic corn as scratch. or they sell scratch grains right next to the feed. The wooden egg might help them get the idea

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  3. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    the move will throw them off some, as will heat- they need some time to settle in and get used to their new home

4. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, they need to settle in. [​IMG]

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It can take a significant period of time for them to adjust to a new environment. Moving adult birds this time of year may throw them into a molt which will extend the non laying.

6. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:The wooden egg will only show them where to lay... Not encourage them to lay. When they're comfortable, they'll lay.

7. St George Farm

Aug 2, 2011
    Thanks for all the helpful replies! It has been miserably hot here in Southern Maryland....95-97 and muggy. I wouldn't want to do anything either!

I will see if I can get some layer pellets for them, not sure what we bought [​IMG] The Agway is far so it won't be until this weekend. I'll see if I can get some scratch for them too.

Should I leave them in the coop until late morning? When do they lay the eggs?

8. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    any idea whether they were on crumbles or pellets in their other home? mine prefer cumbles over pellets...

i'll trade you our 108 degrees? out of 20 hens we are getting 5 eggs....

9. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:When you let them out in the morning just leave the pop door open. They'll go back in to lay when they are ready. They don't lay at any particular time.

10. St George Farm

Aug 2, 2011
    Yea!!! I got one egg this morning!! They must have accepeted me as "chicken mama" - I'm so happy! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by