1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why arnt they sitting on their perch??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by szy.cpr, Jun 12, 2007.

1. szy.cpr

szy.cpr Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2007
    hertfordshire/england
    I read somewhere that at 4 weeks i should add a perch to my chicks brooder so they dont get a bent breast bone, well i did this this morning, but they r not perching on it, just jumping over it. Is this normal or not, please advise:/

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

At 4 weeks....they are still youngens. It takes time for them to learn what the perch is for. Give them some time....they will figure it out. I have never heard of them getting a bent breastbone tho.

3. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    I agree, they'll figure it out. Don't know about the breastbone thing either, though.

4. Cheri

Cheri Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    Dayton, TX
    They will figure it out. Foggy loves this old wooden chair I put in the coop to talk to them but it is covered with poop so I can't sit on it.

5. szy.cpr

szy.cpr Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2007
    hertfordshire/england
    ok, thanks thats great, i think im just a bit paranoid.....

6. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    I think the bent breastbone must be an old wives tale...I didn't provide my chicks with any perches at all in the brooder and even today at 12 weeks old, only about half use the roosts. The others pile in a corner. I haven't noticed any bent breastbones...lol.

7. oztrich

oztrich Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2008
    SE Texas
    If I put a perch in the brooder, how high off the floor does it need to be? I set one up for them last night, and they are just looking at it, jumping over or crawling under it [​IMG]. It's probably 2-3" high. Maybe mine are still too young. I got them Saturday from TSC. How old are they normally when they get them in the stores?

8. opiyfz450

opiyfz450 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2008
    southwestern pa.
    Mine are 3 weeks old today and most of them are roosting, especially at night. i cut a 2x4 longways and cut holes in each end of the brooder and slid it in. the perch is 4 inches off the top of the pine shavings.

9. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    My DH built the chicks a perch and they all love it, I think in time that they might actually fight over it. They have a natural instinct to roost.

10. crysmom

crysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2007
    well i have 20 week old birds and none of them roost, for a couple weeks two of them were up there, but now they are all piled in the corner

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by