Why beat on my ee?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bryan8, Oct 25, 2009.

1. bryan8

bryan8 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    New york
    Well a on thursday night i got a buff orp hen and a ee hen. There both id say like a few mounths under a year.

The buff orp gets along great with the 24 week old red-sex links sence day one. But my ee hen gets beat up alot.

Even my 18 week old br's and slw's beat on her. Its got to the point where she just jumps from roost to roost. She acts happy. Im just worried that shes not eating or drinking.

Will they get along ever?

~Bryan

2. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Its a pecking order thing, probably the buff stood up for itself and the EE shyed away, so everyone steps up to show the are higher in order than her. Until she asserts herself(if she ever does) she will be bottom hen. I would watch to make sure they are letteing her eat, chickens can be ruthless to each other.

3. bryan8

May 21, 2009
    New york
    I'm in the coop alot and I always see her up on the roosts. The buff stood up for herself and the ee tryed bout got beat. Should I seperate her so she can eat and drink?

4. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I keep my new ones in a dog crate in the coop for thirty days, then I let them free range together, so far, so good. I can't put them all in together and let them workit out, they'd kill each other

5. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Are you saying that you got new chickens, and put them in with your old chickens? How many do you have? What size is the coop and run?

6. bryan8

May 21, 2009
    New york
    Yes I got these 2 and put them in with mine. There really healthy and I knew the guy.

There in the winter coop which is a 16x18 shed and there's 17 chickens in there including them

7. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

OH... well that is why .... You should always keep new ones separated for 30 days at least (quarantine). Then, let them see each other between a fence or something, for awhile. Then put them together after that. It is likely that the 2 new ones are scared silly, and being picked on may continue..... they are "intruders," to your old flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by