Why breed would you recommend for a "newbie"?

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by SarahBoff, Nov 28, 2014.

1. SarahBoff

SarahBoff Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2014
    Northern Minnesota
    I have developed quite an interest in chickens and can see myself continuing this as I get older, so I would like to start raising show/breeder chickens. I have 3 more in 4H and would like to get serious about showing before I can't be a 4h show person anymore! I'm wondering what breed all you people here would recommend. I want something cold hardy (with a rose or pea comb preferably, MN gets cold..) and easier to handle, I'm not partial to LF or bantams. Thanks in advance for your advice!

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Hi there!

The bes breeds that will suite your needs include: Rosecombs, silkies, sumatras, wyandottes, brahmas and barred rocks. All are cold hardy and generally docile. Brahmas, silkies, barred rocks and wyandottes are especially friendly. Sumatras and rosecombs tend to be more wild. Also, with sumatras, know that they need large living quarters because their tail feathers can grow to be 4 feet long! So make sure they have roosting and roaming space. Silkies are very broody just so you know. Wyandottes have been known to be aggressive as have sumatras. But if you raise them and tame them when they are young, they'll end up being very tame.

Here are some good links too.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/best-chicken-breeds-for-different-purposes
    http://www.mypetchicken.com/chicken-breeds/which-breed-is-right-for-me.aspx
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-tame-chickens-from-the-start

Good luck!

3. SarahBoff

May 18, 2014
    Northern Minnesota
    Thanks! I have two hatchery stock Wyandottes and they are nice but more touchy, I think it's because they are the lowest in the pecking order in my flock. I've heard of brahmas and will do some more research!

4. ChelseysChicken

ChelseysChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    North TX
    I just got my first breeding/show pair of white Wyandotte bantams :) !! I'm super excited-- only had them a few hours but i recommend them?

5. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Don't buy from a hatchery. You want to buy from a source with 4 values.
    1.. a vintage strain (it takes time to stabilize a gene pool) .
    2. Line-bred or Inbred to create good stability in their gene pool.
    3. Winning in quality ( large numbers of quality competitions) competition.
    4. Over multiple generations. ( to prove quality and stability of gene pool).

All the breeds mentioned so far have such breeders in their breed.
    1. Buy started birds, not chicks. So the breeder can cull them at least once for quality.
    The ratio is usually 1 show chick in every 10 chicks. Make sure you tell the breeder
    you want "show" and "foundation" quality stock. That you want to respect and breed
    their strain.
    2. Starting out, don't cross strains to found your flock. Linebreed on the one
    strain you choose. If you chose a breed which has such a small gene pool that you need
    to cross strains to get enough diversity to breed the birds, then you have picked the
    wrong breed which is either too needy or too rare.
    3. Have the breeder help you with planning the 1st 2 generations until
    you get familiar with the strain and how it inherits.

Best Regards,
    Karen

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  6. SarahBoff

May 18, 2014
    Northern Minnesota
    Karen, thank you so much for this information! For the record, I am not planning on buying hatchery stock. I know of a breeder near me that I might go to, but came here first to see what other expirienced breeders and showers have to offer!

7. 3riverschick

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Oh I am so happy for you that you have found a breeder. Look forward to hearing more about your poultry fancy! Who's the breeder?
    Best,
    Karen

8. SarahBoff

May 18, 2014
    Northern Minnesota
    His name is Vern holzhueter, and is the superintendent of poultry for my county's 4h program.

9. 3riverschick

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    That's great! Which breed did you decide on?
    Best,
    Karen

10. SarahBoff

May 18, 2014
    Northern Minnesota
    I haven't quite decided, but I'm thinking about bantam orpingtons!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by