why breeders are difficult to work with?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by CountryFriedChicken, Sep 26, 2012.

1. CountryFriedChicken

CountryFriedChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Gainesville, GA
    Ok - I am not trying to whine and cheese because I am hurt and angry about it. I cleaned house for better stock after corresponding with various breeders - and now finding out the are not selling birds (or selling a few) or basically just being ignored. It does make it harder to find quality stock.

Now I can see why so many people buy from hatcheries instead...as I learn more about breeding, SOP and so forth... not everyone can do right by the breed... alot of people work hard..and CULL hard.. so there is not many to sell but at least some are willing to work with you.

What are the solutions to this?

2. hillbillyfarmer

hillbillyfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    Maryland
    I have wondered about this as well. Good thread starter!

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

For the most part, you probably just gotta go for eggs from breeders. Shipping chicks and live birds is often an expensive hassle. However, I'm not a breeder and have not sought after breeding birds for show.

4. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    If people don't have birds to sell, they don't have birds to sell. No one is obligated to sell birds to you or anyone else. Many of the more successful breeders have waiting lists for their birds. Most successful breeders, as you noted cull hard & often don't have a large number of birds available. Breeders of quality stock will never replace hatcheries in terms of quantity available.
    I've experienced & heard of encounters with several beginners who wanted to buy "show quality" birds but were outraged at prices they were quoted. They expected to buy quality stock for $5 a head or less.
    I'm not sure what you're looking for in the way of a solution. You might try a more positive attitude. Maybe go to some shows, show an interest in a particular breed, talk to breeders/exhibitors & develop some relationships. Paint with a less broad brush. Some breeders may be difficult but in my experience most are not.

1 person likes this.
  5. CountryFriedChicken

CountryFriedChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Gainesville, GA
    Good idea. I am planning on attending a show in Februrary and try to learn more..

I guess the attitude disturbs me more than anything else. I dont have large numbers to sell either so I can understand... but if we care for the breed we need to help others as well. heritage chickens are a treasure that should be shared, not kept. We need to keep this going.

I am more concerned about breeder quality over show quality at this point - it is how we get show quality - from breeder quality birds and working for it. Alot of people buy show birds directly, but right now I have no interest in showing.

Great post though - thanks.

6. hillbillyfarmer

hillbillyfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    Maryland
    Thanks for the information. I don't expect to pay hatchery prices from quality breeders and I have been raising poultry for a long time so I know the work involved in the process. The problem I have is finding these breeders and getting on their waiting list. Will try to find some shows to attend. I have been considering starting to show some anyways. Thanks again!

7. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    A lot of times you have to network. First you need to know what it is you are looking for, then seriously start looking. There are a lot of great breeders on here. Then start networking. Breeders on here may know breeders who aren't on here and possibly in your area. Check out facebook too.

8. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I think patience and lots of emails, calls and research are your best options. Unfortunately if something is fast, easy and cheap it is very rarely high quality. Hatchery birds are fine if that is what you are looking for, I have some myself - but they are hatchery birds.

The breeder birds I have purchased were not ready on demand and took a lot more effort on my part (and expense) but I personally felt like it was worth it.

Take a deep breath and try to think of it as business. It is not personal so try not to let set backs hurt your feelings. Good luck finding some lovely birds.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by