Why buy roosters at your local small animal auction?

Twiggers96

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 3, 2011
Arcadia, FL
I live in a rural town. Everyone tells me to sell my roosters at the local small animal auction.
I can't do it. I picture the innocent roosters being used as a bait cock in a cock fight.
Someone told me the really nice roosters head down to Miami to be used in sacrifices in the various Islander "religions".
Or that they are eaten.
A friend of mine sold her 3 roosters (several months old) and they went for $9 a piece.
Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a processed chicken at the market?

Why would someone want to buy a rooster at the s.a.a.? Seems like so many of us are trying to get RID of the rooster, not buy one?

Chickens experts - what are these people doing with the roosters they buy at the s.a.a?

Assuming your roosters aren't game roosters, I doubt they would be bought for any aspect of cock fighting.

Santeria ceremony; maybe, since you are in Florida.

Food for folks that don't have a problem with killing and cleaning a chicken, and think it's better than grocery store chicken, most likely.

There are several cultures that prefer colored birds to white ones for both general consumption and especially celebrations. I know we had a Chinese family that was ordering 300+ colored, clean legged birds a month at a specific weight.

I have a kid at work that eats my roos. He says they taste much better than the ones in the grocery store. He feeds his family, and I get rid of roosters. How good is that?

Trust me, no one in Miami is importing roosters for anything, they have more than enough to go around and are perfectlly capable of hatching their own. People buy at auctions because it's a novelty. They buy because there's a bird breed or color they haven't seen or have been wanting to get. They buy because that's what their family has always done, not everyone is on Craigslist. They buy because they won the stupid bird at the auction. People get excited about their auctions no matter what's up for grabs. They buy because they're going to eat them. They don't buy them for fighting. And they probably don't buy them for pets either, that's not the crowd that auctions attract.

Processed birds are cheaper but not necessarily better and there are more and more people trying to eat natural and eat local.

Trust me, no one in Miami is importing roosters for anything, they have more than enough to go around and are perfectlly capable of hatching their own. People buy at auctions because it's a novelty. They buy because there's a bird breed or color they haven't seen or have been wanting to get. They buy because that's what their family has always done, not everyone is on Craigslist. They buy because they won the stupid bird at the auction. People get excited about their auctions no matter what's up for grabs. They buy because they're going to eat them. They don't buy them for fighting. And they probably don't buy them for pets either, that's not the crowd that auctions attract.

Processed birds are cheaper but not necessarily better and there are more and more people trying to eat natural and eat local.

you forgot one thing, someone might buy a rooster to get a new bloodline for breeding their own birds. if they know aproxamatly what breeds they have to begin with and breed with they may not have to worry about inbreading issues. or at least reduce the likelyhood.

Back
Top Bottom