Why can a broody......

Pics

MarkJr

Free Ranging
Jun 15, 2020
Take day old chicks out and terrorize the world. They eat grass, bugs, watermelon, kitchen scraps, chuck starter, and everything else they can shove in their gluttonous little beaks. Their crops are distended all day because they are full till behind their necks...... and there aren’t any digestive issues. No impacted crops, no pasty butt....

How do we as chicken tenders replicate this in the brooder? Jerk them outside and set them partly on a gravel driveway, partly on the lawn.... have a warm spot to dive under every fifteen minutes and randomly toss them a few feet to replicate being in the wrong spot when momma scratches for them? Then take them inside so it’s not drafty for the night hours?

Im truly trying to figure out why broody’s chicks, adopted or hatched, don’t have the issues a strict brooder batch does.

Take day old chicks out and terrorize the world. They eat grass, bugs, watermelon, kitchen scraps, chuck starter, and everything else they can shove in their gluttonous little beaks. Their crops are distended all day because they are full till behind their necks...... and there aren’t any digestive issues. No impacted crops, no pasty butt....

How do we as chicken tenders replicate this in the brooder? Jerk them outside and set them partly on a gravel driveway, partly on the lawn.... have a warm spot to dive under every fifteen minutes and randomly toss them a few feet to replicate being in the wrong spot when momma scratches for them? Then take them inside so it’s not drafty for the night hours?

Im truly trying to figure out why broody’s chicks, adopted or hatched, don’t have the issues a strict brooder batch does.
1. The hen is the portable heater at the perfect temperature available at all times.
2. The chicks are naturally getting the appropriate size grit which allows them to grind their food into digestible forms.
3. Weak chicks are not hand catered to and do die.

1. The hen is the portable heater at the perfect temperature available at all times.
2. The chicks are naturally getting the appropriate size grit which allows them to grind their food into digestible forms.
3. Weak chicks are not hand catered to and do die.
4. Chicks are outside within the first few days (hopefully), building their immune systems, and clutter in the brooder builds up less.

It is mainly for egg production. Broodiness = no eggs being laid.
True. I'm just saying that because I'm still waiting for my 18-week old Brahmas to start laying so they can go broody. I'm finally learning to breed chickens, and I'm kind of impatient. I got one really small egg today, and I'm wondering if it was a smaller on from my Barred Rocks, mainly because it had that coloring.

You can't replicate that in a brooder.
Naturally reared chicks have different issues, often terminal. However, those that do survive along with their mother tend to grow into stronger healthier and from what I've seen, better balanced individuals.

True. I'm just saying that because I'm still waiting for my 18-week old Brahmas to start laying so they can go broody. I'm finally learning to breed chickens, and I'm kind of impatient. I got one really small egg today, and I'm wondering if it was a smaller on from my Barred Rocks, mainly because it had that coloring.

Don't hold your breath. I had Brahmas for years (5+) and not one single broody in the lot.
That and 18 weeks is to young for Brahmas to lay. They are a slower to mature breed.

Don't hold your breath. I had Brahmas for years (5+) and not one single broody in the lot.
That and 18 weeks is to young for Brahmas to lay. They are a slower to mature breed.
Ah, poop. I'll have to email McMurray about putting the Light Brahma in the broody category. They were the only ones available at the time, however. Can Buff Orpingtons go broody easily?

Ah, poop. I'll have to email McMurray about putting the Light Brahma in the broody category. They were the only ones available at the time, however. Can Buff Orpingtons go broody easily?

No. I only ever had one buff go broody and she only did it once in 7 years.
My bantam black cochin is my best most consistent broody. She turned 11 this year.

Back
Top Bottom