1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

why can't chickens eat coccodisis medication for chicks?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cluckin tractor, Sep 17, 2010.

1. cluckin tractor

cluckin tractor Chillin' With My Peeps

the label on one of my chick start bags say that the medication cannot be consumed by meat or egg producing birds or animals. why the precaution.

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Depends on what the medication is. What does your country put in the feed to prevent cocci?

3. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I am guessing it is transfered to the chicken so you would be eating the medication via the eggs/meat.Hmmm makes you wonder why the antibios given to chickens(or any animal) on factory farms is OK to consume.I know a lot of meat labels now sport the *no hormones/antibios so it can not be good due to bacteria resisitance and hormones messing with our hormones.

4. NC29mom

NC29mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    WWWOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPSSS!!

Cause my big chickens sneak into the chickie coop sometimes when I let all the chickens/chicks out to free range. I just don't understand it!!!!! They think it's the greatest thing in the world to go to each others coops and eat & drink their food and water.

So, my big chickens eat the medicated starter I have out for our chicks. Now, granted......they don't get it all of the time. Just a sneak bite here and there......

5. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:To the best of my knowledge American feed manufacturers use only Amprollium as a Coccidiostat. Amprolium is not an Antibiotic & can be fed to egg/meat producing birds w/o concern.
    The OP is from New South Wales where feed may be formulated differently.

6. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:Hormones have not been fed to animals rasised for consumption for over 40 years. The "no hormones" on labels is as meaningful as the "no cholesterol" label on foods that never contained cholesterol. They're playing to peoples fears & ignorance.

7. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:Hormones have not been fed to animals rasised for consumption for over 40 years. The "no hormones" on labels is as meaningful as the "no cholesterol" label on foods that never contained cholesterol. They're playing to peoples fears & ignorance.

Except milk cows. Now them's a differnt story. [​IMG]

8. grandmaof5

grandmaof5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Central N.S.

Erm...this may be the case in the U.S. (I'm not sure) but it isn't in every country...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by