WHY can't Double YOkers Hatch??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by muscovy94, Nov 21, 2009.

1. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Everyone I have a question. You know how in mammals when a female gets pregnant the babies will only grow as big as the mother's womb will allow? Well wouldn't the same concept go with double yokers? shouldn't they only get as big as their egg would allow them and then be able to successfully hatch?

2. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    anyone?

3. tholt03

tholt03 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2009
    N. Texas
    Supposedly it is possible. i havent seen it.

4. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    The difference is, the mother's womb is pliable, so the babies can move around. Chicks can't do that.

I didn't know I had a double-yolk egg in the incubator until it pipped. After a day, it wasn't making any progress, so I helped it out. That's when I saw the second baby. It was a huge disaster... the smaller of the chicks had been pushed into the small end of the egg, where there wasn't an air sac. So it died from oxygen starvation, which was a blessing. The poor thing was very, very skinny, and it had been mashed against the side of the egg until it was nearly flat. The bigger chick made it out alive, but it had one leg permanently extended behind it. After a day of trying to reposition the leg, we gave up and put it down.

I never want to go through that again!

Kathy, Bellville TX
    www.CountryChickens.com

5. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by