Why can't ducks have medicated feed?

Goat Lover 3

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 21, 2013
I have six pet ducks. I have been feeding them chick starter grower feed and I realized today that it was medicated after the ducks have finished the bag! They are six weeks old and are healthy!

Well there are a few differing types of medications, some ok, some not, so general rule of thumb is to skip it, storey's guide to ducks has a good info on that, do you have any access to that?

welcome-byc.gif

Yes, I have read that book. My ducks have always been eating non-medicated feed. This last bag was medicated. My dad purchased this bag by mistake! They have been eating Pen Pals Chick Starter/Grower for about two weeks now, and I just realized today that it was medicated. Do you think they will be alright?

Yes, I have read that book. My ducks have always been eating non-medicated feed. This last bag was medicated. My dad purchased this bag by mistake! They have been eating Pen Pals Chick Starter/Grower for about two weeks now, and I just realized today that it was medicated. Do you think they will be alright?

I have very little knowledge on medicated feeds, i have never bought any. I started into poultry with ducks first, so had nothing medicated and then i chose to not use medicated with my chickens.

Being there six weeks they could move onto grower anyways, my youngest here are now on grower(they'll be 6wks this wed/thursday) as for the medicated feed causing an issue, i'd refer to the tag for the type used and then see what storey's guide says for that type, since they have already eaten it, your sorta out of choices, but if you move to grower or all flock/flock raiser feeds there should be no issue as those not medicated.

Last edited:
If you are in the US, then it should be fine.
Medicated feed used to contain medicines that were dangerous to ducks. These days (in the US), the medicine won't hurt them but why feed medicated if you don't need to. The medicine used is a coccidiostat (used to prevent/treat coccidia) and ducks rarely are bothered by it unless they are kept in filthy conditions.

Since BYC is a worldwide community, and we don't know what is in the feed that is available to everyone, I always think it is best to recommend against feeding medicated. I have fed medicated once, it was all that was available, but I don't like to give unneeded meds so I figure, why bother.

Back
Top Bottom