Why Can't Hatcheries Keep Pure Ameraucanas?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BovieVei, Jul 29, 2011.

1. BovieVei

BovieVei Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2011
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Every commercial-grade hatchery doesn't seem to give you Ameraucanas, just Easter Eggers. Why can't they seem to have pure breed Ameraucanas? How much different is that than having other purebreds? How/why did they become mutts?
    Is anyone else irked by this?
    Lol

Edited:typo fix

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Oh, it sells well if you say Ameraucanas instead of EE. It has been going on for so long so as long customers go for it, they will continue to buy them.

3. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Probably the same reason they can't breed anything true to type...or even close? [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Why Can't Hatcheries Keep Pure Ameraucanas?

We keep asking that question. Sigh.​

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    As long it brings in the money, they don't care.

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Not to make this a hatchery bash but I don't know to many hatcheries that have what I would call "purebreds" stock in any breed.
    They sell Rhode Island Red that look nothing like a Rhode Island Red, Barred Rocks that are more Cuckoo than Barred, Wyandottes that have Single Combs and the list go's on.

If you want "purebreds" stock you will have to go with someone that takes pride in there stock and also breeds and culls to the American Standard of Perfection and that for the most part is a breeder.
    Hatcheries care only for quantity and not quality.

Chris

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  7. BovieVei

Jul 26, 2011
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Bleh. How annoying and unreliable. I love EE's, but when I want an Ameraucana, that's what I want.

8. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Quote:I'm pretty sure theres a Ameraucana breeders list... You could see if any of those breeders are in your state! [​IMG]

9. BovieVei

Jul 26, 2011
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Quote:Not to make this a hatchery bash but I don't know to many hatcheries that have what I would call "purebreds" stock in any breed.
    They sell Rhode Island Red that look nothing like a Rhode Island Red, Barred Rocks that are more Cuckoo than Barred, Wyandottes that have Single Combs and the list go's on.

If you want "purebreds" stock you will have to go with someone that takes pride in there stock and also breeds and culls to the American Standard of Perfection and that for the most part is a breeder.
    Hatcheries care only for quantity and not quality.

Chris

True, I guess the difference is just easier for me to see between EE's and Ameraucanas...

10. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Contact Pips&Peeps...she shows her birds and breeds them very well....I have bought several things from her and I've seen her birds in person at shows! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by