why cant i get all my chickens to lay eggs looking for that 19 egg day

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by blueseal, Dec 11, 2009.

1. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i have 19 layers. standard breeds 6 golden comets 8 months old . 3 gold-laced wyandottes 8 months old. 2 buff orps 8 months 1 delaware 8 months, and 7older birds rangeing 1 to 2 yrs old, 2 delaware. 3 buff orps. 2 red sex links. most eggs iv got in one day was 16 once. iv been getting 9-14 eggs a day on a regular basis. still cant get that 19 number. anyone have any ideas to why . i have 14 nestboxes in the 10x12 coop. they have access to grain and water 24/7 i have a light on a timer thats been comeing on at 3am since end of september.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Perhaps someday they will all syncronize and then you'd get 19.

That or buy ALL Black Sex Links. I have one that hasn't missed only 1 day since October 1st.

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

In good weather, I get the magic 4 of 4 a lot, but here lately it's been more like 3 of 4, and rarely 2 of 4. Me thinks it's the weather.

I really wish I knew if it was the SAME Leghorn missing so many days, or if they are rotating. [​IMG] The redstar is laying at least 5 eggs a week, usually better than that, and it's easy to tell which eggs she lays.

4. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    got 12 eggs yesterday 11 eggs today. i think my seven oldest layers are not laying they range 1 to 2yrs old havent noticed them in the nestbox. maybe there takeing a break.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by