Why can't I use a medical thermometer?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by babsh, Apr 5, 2009.

1. babsh

babsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Minnesota
    Or can I? I realize this won't fluctuate. But at least it will give a relatively accurate temperature? I'm sure they aren't going to be perfect, but certainly within a few tenths of a degree, as opposed to every other thermometer I have which varies by 1-4 degrees.

Am I overlooking something?

Barb

2. buckeye lady

buckeye lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Rootstown Ohio
    I use a medical thermometer in my water wiggler. They are not accurate for air temp, but work great in the wiggler.
    I use a thermometer/hygrometer I bought at Walmart ($8.00) in the Bator also. (Its one that can go on the fridge as well, has a magnet on the back, and has a folding stand also)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I use one to see how far off my other thermometers are.

4. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    So you would have to shake it down and then put it in to get the temperature each time.

5. buckeye lady

buckeye lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Rootstown Ohio
    Quote:[​IMG] You're still using that old thing!!!! [​IMG] It takes nearly 7 minutes to get an accurate reading! Go to the drugstore and but the $3 digital one! Takes 30 seconds or less!

6. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    The problem is all the ones I see only stay on for so long and only read the temp once. You have to measure the temp on top of the eggs not from a vent hole and for that you would have to open the bator, set it over the eggs, push the button, and wait... You just let all your heat out and it's no longer accurate. Just for amusement I took the temp through various vent holes with the medical thermometer and got everything from 94F at the bottom to "high" at the top of my still air and like 98 from a hole I put in the side to help vent humidity on really humid days here. None of those are the temp on the eggs which is 102 according to my best thermometer. In a water wiggler it would work since that more accurately shows the internal temp of an egg and would not cool quickly when you open the bator just like the eggs don't cool immediately.

7. babsh

Apr 30, 2008
    Minnesota
    Quote:I took a ball of modeling clay, stuck the thermometer into it and placed it on the rack. I do not have a digital one, I have a "shake down" model. I got one from a drugstore for $6.

I got the idea for the clay by doing a search on this site. Can't seem to find it now though.

So if I do it the way I described, and let it rest in there for awhile......?

Barb

8. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Won't the clay dry out?

9. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    I always use one to check the others, only will give you the high temp. but the high temp. is the big killer.

They are the most accurate, the ones you need to shake down.

10. babsh

Apr 30, 2008
    Minnesota
    Quote:I used modeling clay. It doesn't dry out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by