1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

WHY CAN'T MY CHICKENS STAY ASLEEP WHEN I TURN ON THE RED LIGHT ?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Smilin Teri, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Smilin Teri

Smilin Teri Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2014
    When they were 1 day old they had it. Up until 5 weeks when they had feathers-- I wanted to use it to take chill off in coop----BUT EVERYTIME I turn it on -THEY WAKE UP- WHY ?? What do you use to take chill off and what temp do you think that is needed ??

2. Smilin Teri

Apr 30, 2014
    RED HEAT LAMP

3. LanceTN

LanceTN Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2014
    My chicks have had zero heat from three weeks.

If they are comfortably sleeping and you shine a light on them why are you surprised they wake up?

1 person likes this.
  4. Smilin Teri

Apr 30, 2014
    HAAA I DON'T shine in in the eyes it is in the corner of coop---If they sleep with it when they were little--I thought they could still sleep through-- They most likely DON'T need heat it is most likely me--it has gotten 34--Thanks for your help

5. LanceTN

Aug 31, 2014
    Are you sure they aren't just awake when your around?

At night my chickens freak out when I'm buy the coop.

6. tcstoehr

tcstoehr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Canby, Oregon
    The red light does stimulate them. Chicks in the brooder fall asleep when they're tired enough, whether it's dark or not. But I'm not at all surprised that the red light is keeping your adult hens awake. Get rid of it. 34 degrees? They laugh at that.

7. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

My my adult flock could sleep at the heat lamp on, they didn't even seem to be able to see me with it on... very surprised when I reached up and touched them, they did wake up and freak out.
    I agree with the above poster though you probably don't need to heat the coop.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  8. Smilin Teri

Apr 30, 2014
    Thanks for all answers---It is normal for me to worry since I just got them in spring RIGHT ???? They just aren't for eggs they are my PETS now---

9. LanceTN

Aug 31, 2014
    It's normal to worry.

However worrying leads to many chicken owners babying their chickens and forgetting that they are quite capable and durable.

10. Smilin Teri

Apr 30, 2014
    THANKS LanceTN----

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by