1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why can't they all just get along

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by luvorng, Aug 6, 2014.

1. luvorng

luvorng Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2014
    Austin
    I new to the chick raising life. I started with 5 day old chicks. 1 favorelle and 1 brahma. 2 days later I decided to get a baby silkie. About 2 days old. My brahma is so mean and keeps trying to peck the little one. And tips and integrating chicks and ways to make them get along. The bigger ones are only a few days older bit the silkie is very small. Right now I have them separated. Please help

2. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    It's easier to integrate like size and with more than one. But right now that isn't an option :) Maybe you could put the silkie in the main pen you have first. Then put the others in. Kind of like the others are entering the silkie's territory and not the other way around.

Otherwise I'd say keep the silkie separate until it's a bit bigger and try to slowly integrate. You could put up a divider for a while so they see, but can't touch.

3. luvorng

Aug 4, 2014
    Austin
    Thanks! I have them separate now except during play time. Hoping they will be friends. The silkie just needs to get a bit bigger I think.

4. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    My guess is it will get easier over time. They establish a pecking order fairly quick :) Congrats on the chicks by the way.

5. luvorng

Aug 4, 2014
    Austin
    Thanks it's been a fun learning experience so far

6. Kluk-Kluk

Kluk-Kluk Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2014
    upstate New York
    I currently have two grown Brahmas and two small Japanese bantams - midgets compared to the Brahmas. Granted, I bought all of these as adults, but I had the small bantams first, then introduced the Brahmas into the bantams' turf. I had a silkie at the time, too, who was in with the Japanese bantams (raccoon got it this summer). Having the bantams in the main pen first, then introducing the big birds into their turf, as suggested above, really helped. They all get along now. However, I'm currently raising six chicks of various breeds, including those teeny tiny silkies, so I'll have my own integration challenge soon - introducing these six to the established girls. Eventually they usually get along, but there's always one at the bottom of the pecking order, and it's often the smallest one... :-(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by