why can't you candle an egg after the 18th day?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lisa202, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    and I've read that you shouldn't turn the eggs in the incubator after the 18th day? Why is this?

So, since my broody hen, Greta, is taking care of the eggs, how do I safeguard the eggs being turned and disrupted by the other chickens. They all want to lay their eggs in the same nest box that Greta is brooding in and she sometimes gets kicked out.

When the chick hatches [​IMG] (there's only one good egg under her) I plan on putting them into a little coop along side the run so that they are seen by the others during separation. If I separate her now, then I may have re-introducing problems as they won't see her for a while b/c she will be out of sight sitting on the nest constantly until the chick hatches and finally leaves the enclosed area into the outside run area.

I've read that they usually put the brooder in another part of the coop, but mine isn't big enough.

What should I do?

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    On day 18 the eggs should have increased humidity and not be turned anymore as the chick will be hatching soon. I would try to put wire in front of your broody hen to block the others from bothering her. By day 18 she shouldn't get out anymore anyway until the chick hatches.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  3. jarodw45

jarodw45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Texas
    Yes get the wire up to keep the others out for sure!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by