Why cant you feed a chicken the sunflower stocks?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sweet Pea Farms, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Sweet Pea Farms

Sweet Pea Farms New Egg

Jan 9, 2012
    Hi everyone,
    I had some very nice golden lace polish chickens. One day I got lazy and threw them a whole sunflower stock(plant) into the coop. No lie, 30 min later they had foam coming out of there beaks and well they were dead. So my question is why? Why cant you feed them the plant when you can feed them the seeds off of it?[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I don't know the answer to your question except for what I just found doing a web search...so you might consider this as a possibility as some things are not toxic to poultry that are to humans.

Anyhow, here it is:

"Sunflower petals are poisonous" from the following website
    http://healthrecipes.com/sunflower_seeds.htm

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I am SO GLAD to have seen this! I am planning on growing some sunflowers this year and now I know not to let them have the plants.

4. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    Me too, and I was planning on hanging the flower, stalk and all in the coop in winter.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Well, I've thrown stalks in the run that were dead and dried and my birds were fine. Maybe the drying helped, vs a fresh stalk? I honestly don't remember if the birds ate any of the stalk or leaves, just that the stripped the head pretty fast!

6. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

[​IMG] I am so sorry for you loss but you have helped alot of people today. I for one had no idea that this could happen. I threw a sunflower head into the run a couple of days ago and they wouldn't touch it till I broke it up. Good thing I didn't throw in the stalk.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by