Why can't you put chickens and quail together?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by guinea fowl galore, Dec 1, 2010.

1. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    I breed chickens and recently I have been thinking about getting some quail. so I did some research and read that it is bad to keep them together.
    we have 25 acres but only use about five. I could have them at different ends of the five acres but I wouldn't be showering between checking them both Like someone sugested on a site I looked at.
    So if I was to get them what sort of things would I have to do to make sure they both stayed safe and healthy?
    what sort of diseases do they give each other anyway?

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=250361
    WHAT
    KIND OF DISEASES? ANY AND ALL KIND OF POULTRY DISEASES, GAMEBIRDS ARE WAY MORE SUSCEPTIBLE TO POULTRY ILLNESSES THAN OTHER SPECES. TO PROTECT GAMEBIRDS THEY SHOULD NOT BE IN DIRECT CONTACT WITH OTHER POULTRY, THEY NEED TO SEPERATED BY A LITTLE DISTANCE TO PREVENT "DROPLET" INFECTION--- MAJORITY OF THE ILLNESSES ARE SPREAD BY BIRD BODY SUBSTANCES, SUCH AS FECES, SNOT, WHAT HAVE YOU... SO SEPERATE THEM BY AT LEAST 10 FT, A SOLID BARRIER HELPS IF DISTANCE ISNT READILY AN OPTION. MAINTAIN BIOLOGICAL ISOLATION-- NO FEED UTENSILES, OR BIRD CARE ITEM GET PASSED BETWEEN THE 2 WITHOUT SANTIZATION. WHEN YOU FEED START WITH YOUR GAMEBIRDS THEN GO TO OTHER POULTRY AFTER GAMEBIRDS ARE COMPLETED. HAND WASHING HELPS, SANITIZE ALL BIRD CARE ITEMS WITH A BLEACH WATER SOAK WEEKLY AND IF NEEDED BETWEEN USES ON DIFFERENT SPECES.

"BUT MY CHICKENS ARENT SICK"-- DONT MATTER, MANY ILLNESSES THE CHICKENS WILL BE CARRIERS FOR- MEANING THEY WILL HAVE NATURAL IMMUNITY THAT PREVENTS INFECTION, BUT STILL ALLOWS THE BIRD TO PASS ON THE ILLNESS TO OTHERS WITHOUT IMMUNITY.

3. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    Alright, well I think we should be able to do all that.
    Can chickens catch anything from quail?

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    For The Most Part It Looks Like A 1 Way Street But I Did See An Artical About Newcastles Disease? I Believe It Was Stating That Newcastles Can Be Transmitted From Coturnix To Chickens??? Thats The Only Case I Remember Of Quail Carrying And Chickens Catching. Either Way Keep 'em Seperat And Things Will Go Much Better For Your Birds And Your Goals

5. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Keep Chickens An Quail Separate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by