1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why cover the whole coop in Winter ?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Poultry4Health, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Poultry4Health

Poultry4Health New Egg

Nov 5, 2015
    Winter is approaching (0-4 deg Celcius minimum)and I have to keep my chicken coop warm . Do I really need to cover the whole coop with tarpaulin ? What if I get a 2x2 foot brick enclosure and hag a curtain at opening to acomodate my 5 layers ? That will be more manageable an d economical.Any thoughts.

2. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    With those temps, you don't have to cover anything. What kind of coop do you have now? Where do you get the idea, of a 2X2' covered brick box? Just keep them in a dry, WELL ventilated proper coop, and they will be fine.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  4. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    Chickens(depending on the breed) are generally very cold hardy. It's the cold drafts that do more damage than the actual cold itself. Their feathers are great insulation.

5. Poultry4Health

Poultry4Health New Egg

Nov 5, 2015
    Thanks a lot everybody. I am living in Pakistan and those 2x2 brick houses/enclosures are common here that's why I mentioned. As for my design of coop I made it between two adjacent walls (between house boundary wall and the building.So have two sides closed (wall ) and the other two open (metal wire net) Roof is net+Tarpaulin+metal sheet on top to waterproof. Cold winds do cross the coop in this design. The chicken sleep on top of a wooden crate having a small crate put over the main crate (to one side) to block wind from one side.

I also have 6 chicks (1.5 months old in a separate coop (open on all sides but put under my car shed. I put a plastic bucket sideways for them to get cosy but they prefer to sleep on top on it all cuddled together.

The breeds are both local non-descript as well has locals crossed with White Leg Horn.But my friend always seals his coops from all sides with tarpaulin which I based on your comments feel is unnecessary.

I dont provide them any commercial feed ( I kept chicken to avoid these feeds) put them on wheat, millets, greens , sunflower seed, fruit peals etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by