Why did I do that?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by shelleyd2008, Nov 29, 2009.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I got the bright idea to take some cough medicine I had left over from my son's URI. Stupid [​IMG] Stupid [​IMG] Stupid!! [​IMG] Dumby me forgot that cough medicine is designed to make you cough more/better. So now instead of not coughing, I'm coughing so hard it's making my side cramp [​IMG] If this doesn't quit, I'll have to go to the doctor tomorrow. [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Usually if I just take a little nyquil, it helps me sleep a little better.

Good luck and Get better soon

3. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    If you want to sleep, get one with a cough supressant, such as dextromethorphan. But use this only if the cough is dry, hacking, and non productive. If it is a wet, productive cough, get a cough syrup with an expectorant, such as guaifenisin, to help break up the mucus so you can gt it out of your lungs.

[​IMG] I hope you feel better soon, and remember to stay hydrated- it will help your immune system fight off the bugs faster.

4. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    So thats why they call it COUGH medicine! LOL I just thought you gave it to people when they were coughing and it made them feel better! but it actually makes you cough?! NEVER knew that one ahaa... [​IMG] I feel like I'm having a blonde momment. [​IMG]

5. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    If it is a cough suppresant it will make you not cough, but this one is for cough and congestion, so it has an expectorant. Expectorants help your cough to be more productive=hence more coughing [​IMG]

It is so not a dry cough, but it is a very chesty-sounding cough, to me anyway. I'll probably get to go to the doctor.....yay! [​IMG]

6. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Goofy computer [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  7. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Apparently it's a good thing I only took one 'shot' of my son's leftover cough medicine. I went to the doctor today, and she said it's bronchitis [​IMG] I kind of figured it was, the cough sounds pretty deep. The cough medicine she put me on does not have an expectorant in it, and I know my son's did. So apparently you aren't supposed to try and 'cough it up' when it's in your lungs? Who knew? Guess that's why I'm not a doctor [​IMG]

She put me on a pretty strong antibiotic, which made my stomach hurt [​IMG] I'll have to remember to take it with a MEAL tomorrow, and not a handful of crackers [​IMG]

8. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Get well soon Shelley! I just make a hot toddie [​IMG] but I know that's not for everyone [​IMG]

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Feel better soon Shelley. [​IMG]

10. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I don't think any cough medicine "makes" you cough more. The ones with the cough suppressant are supposed to make you cough less. The ones with the expectorant make your coughs more productive. It shouldn't make you cough more frequently, just more effectively when you do. It does that by loosening & thinning the goop in your chest so it comes out when you cough.

Get well soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by