Why did I even build 6 nesting boxes?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DianaMallory, Oct 13, 2012.

1. DianaMallory

DianaMallory Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    We just recently put the nesting boxes on the outside of the coop. I was a little upset that I was going to lose 2 boxes. I had 8 for 11 golden comets. I now have 6 nesting boxes. This morning I went to gather my eggs. I peeked through the window to make sure nobody was on the nest. I forgot to mention I was a little late gathering my eggs. So the girls should have been done by now. I opened the lid to the boxes and in one nest I find 8 eggs and one of my hens acting like she was looking for a place to sit down! She got out of the nest I gathered the eggs. 2 in one nest and 8 in the other. I gave my hen about 45 minutes and went out and got 1 more egg out of the nest that had 8 in it. I can't figure it out. Why are they using the same box? Most of the time I find up to 5 in one box but this is the first time I have found 9 in the same box! [​IMG] At least they aren't hiding them from me anymore!

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Most people recommend 1 box for every 4 hens. In my experience though, they do tend to prefer one nest and will all queue up to use that one nest. The reason is pretty simple, if you think like a chicken. Egg-laying is part of the reproductive process - i.e., each egg is a potential future offspring. In order for that offspring to have the best chance possible, it should be laid in a place safe enough that it can last for 21 days of incubation. A nest that already contains some eggs has clearly already been determined to be a good nesting site, and therefore, each hen now wants to lay her egg in "the safe place".

1 person likes this.
  3. DianaMallory

DianaMallory Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    Well that makes perfect since! Thank you! I read somewhere that it was 1 box per 2/3 hens. I have 5 more that are 7 weeks old. So I am sure the rest of the boxes will get some use. If not I am going to have to build the front higher to keep them all from falling out! lol! JK! But thank you again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by