Why did I get a nasty stinky egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Avalon1984, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Hey y’alls! I haven’t been here in forever, just got too busy I guess so I feel bad, but I am back now. Aaaannnnyyywaaayyys, yesterday, for the first time my chickens brought me to my knees. We had a ROTTEN EGG. How, is my question. I will post a picture later but it was a small egg, so we weren’t going to use it for our customers and were going to crack it for cooking. It was about 4-5 days old, was clean and refrigerated, was definitely not half incubated, I check my coop thoroughly several times a day. As soon as we opened it we knew it was bad and rushed it out the door. When I tried to do an eggtopsy later, since a dark mass was inside the membrane, some grayish fluid appeared that smelled even worse than rotten egg. Now I have been exposed to many nasty smells over the years but this one mad me turn around and empty my stomach contents without hesitation, it was THAT bad. So I sent my brave hubby to the egg to finish the eggtopsy and the black mass inside where the egg yolk should be looked like poop. It was black and somewhat soft. I didn’t see anything resembling any sort of chick or a failure to the outer shell of the egg. Could this mean something is wrong with the chicken that laid said egg? My chickens are getting upward 3 years old. Does anybody know how this happened? Like I said, I will try and post pictures later if that helps. I am just worried about all my other eggs now. Do any of you have any idea what happened?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

3. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Thanks ChickensAreSweet! I saw that same article yesterday and I think I may have a chicken with a bad ovarian tract or something. I had another egg that week that I had set aside because it didn't look or feel right and that was also a stink bomb. we'll see if I can find the offender.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by