Why did it die so early?!

DUCKGIRL89

Songster
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
TN
so, a while ago, almost a month ago, I put in nine duck eggs from my ducks, 3 pure bred rouens, and 6 khaki campbell rouen mutts, none of the mutts went bad, or were infertile, but the first rouen eggs was infertile, and I just found out now, that one of the other rouen eggs died early on... It smelled HORRIBLE!, there was no way it WASNT rotten, so I cracked it open (inside a ziplock bagie) and half of a rotten yolk, and a little half formed duckling came out (the duckling was GROSS looking
sickbyc.gif
) so I knew it was dead, but why did the rouens die off, and not the mutts?
hu.gif

Not really sure what that means, but my temp was 97-99 my humidity was 52% and today is lockdown...

I don't know much about ducks, but maybe the mutts were tougher, I had a mutt chicken and she was the only on to survive last winter. Were your rouens acting funny? Have you got good fertile eggs from them before? Maybe they might just not be good birds to get furtive eggs from.

This is the first time I have hatched eggs from them.... Maybe the khakis are just good and fertile....
hu.gif

It may not have anything to do with the health of the parents. Sometimes you get babies that just fail to thrive that can come from strong parent birds.
You can do everything right and they still not make it. It is sad though as we naturally want the babies to all be healthy.

Quote:
I have question.... If the air sacks are only as big as 1/4 of the egg, is that ok? Im worried that they wont have enough room to hatch! Cuz thats how big it is?!

I am horrible with measuring stuff but that sound right. You don't wait the sac to be to huge as that is a sign of not enough moisture and can affect the size of the chick and could lessen chance of hatch. There is an old thread that shows with pictures the different stages of chick egg. Duck eggs require more humidity but you still want to see a nice air sac that is neither too big or too small. Sorry again I am bad at measurement stuff as I am more of a visual type.

Oh that thread is in the sticky look at the link to the pics of incubation. I know it is for chicks but it can help give you an idea for the duck eggs.

Last edited:
Oh thank goodness! it seems like they are fine! It scared me pretty bad when I thought they werent big enough... Lol!

Back
Top Bottom