Why did my 2 1/2 yr old BO hen have a super poopy butt today? Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by guesswhatchickenbutt, Feb 10, 2012.

1. guesswhatchickenbutt

guesswhatchickenbutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Central FL
    I have 3 hens - all 2 1/2 years old. Never had any prob's with poopy butts. Today I went out to the coop to check on them and it looks like the BO sat in wet black mud. We live in FL so we don't have wet black mud, so it's obvious that it's poop and sand mixed in and all over her bum feathers. I got some warm soapy water and washed her off and she's clean now... but I'm worried about what may have caused this. I took a look at her vent while I was giving her a bath and it looks normal enough to me. All 3 hens appear happy and healthy - bright eyes, no sores, bright combs/wattles.

If this was a fluke, I can live with that. My fear is that it's a symptom of some chicken issue that I don't know about.

Any thoughts?

FYI - I searched the forums about this, but I ended up with page after page after page of chicks with poopy butts.... I didn't run across adult hens with poopy butts.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. guesswhatchickenbutt

guesswhatchickenbutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Central FL
    I just went out this morning to check on her and her bum feathers are all wet and bedraggled looking - although not all black and muddy looking. Obviously something is going on.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

I'm just really worried that it means something is wrong......but I have no clue what it could be.

3. AshPack

AshPack Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2012
    A picture or 2 would help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by