why did my baby chicks die????

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dmkitchen96, Jan 24, 2011.

1. dmkitchen96

dmkitchen96 New Egg

Jan 14, 2011
    hello i hope some one can help me. i had 12 black fancy feet chicks, they were about 5 months old. they was in a cage. i woke up the other morning and 10 of them was dead, i lost another 1 lst night. now my question is could where my daughter fed them laying mash would that causethem to die or was it just to cold it was -14. please help thanks [​IMG] dmkitchen96

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Strange that they all went in one night. That doesn't sound like a food issue. And at 5 months they are all feathered out.
    Had they been in a heated area before subjected to the below zero stuff?

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    At five months laying mash shouldn't have caused the problem either. Were all of the chickens inside the coop when they died? Was there no sign of a predator getting in? The only other thing I can think of is the laying mash moldy?

4. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Were they in a cage outside? Did they have any shelter from the cold? If not, that is why they died. Chickens need shelter from the weather. A cage out in -14 degree weather would kill them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by