why did my chicken stop laying eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BuffyOrpha, Sep 6, 2014.

1. BuffyOrpha

BuffyOrpha New Egg

Sep 6, 2014
    two weeks ago, she laid 6 eggs....
    last week she stopped completly and only laid 1 on sept 4th... since then she has not laid an egg.
    she seems full and tender what can i do?????

2. BuffyOrpha

BuffyOrpha New Egg

Sep 6, 2014
    I searched online and found one thing I could do.... And that was to put olive oil on her vent... I did it... But still nothing... Guess I have to wait another day

3. BuffyOrpha

BuffyOrpha New Egg

Sep 6, 2014
    Someone please give me advice.... That did not work.... What can I do to help my hen lay eggs????

4. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    I don't have experience of this but if you think she is egg bound, I believe warm baths can help and I've read that feeding her extra calcium in the form of an indigestion tablet can help the muscles to contract to expel the stuck egg. Also, keep her vent well lubricated and see if you can very gently insert a well lubricated finger and feel where the egg is and try to ease it out, if the calcium tablet doesn't work after a few hours. If you do a search on egg bound, you should find more info.

Good luck

Barbara

Also, it might be best to post on the emergencies/diseases part of the forum for a more urgent reply from someone who hopefully knows better than me.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by