Why did my cock just attack my mum??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by YoYofranko, Jul 5, 2011.

1. YoYofranko

YoYofranko Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2010
    York Yorkshire
    My RIR Cock rodney just attacked my mum when she went into the hen house to fill up his food. It's not dark yet so he could see her. He's usually a very friendly boy who likes a good tickle. When my mum pushed him away he started taking it out on one of our light sussex girls. What caused this sudden aggression from a usually very nice boy? Thanks

2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    most roosters turn MEAN!!!
    I wish they dident, but they do

even if there angles for a while.

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Because he is a rooster and when she pushed him out of the way he took that as a display of dominance which he then challenged. How old is he? If he is young then you are just starting with the behavior. It will continue and it will get worse unless you can teach him, humanely, that you are the boss. Might be wise to carry a broom or barn rake for protection! Hopefully there are no small children around this rooster?

4. YoYofranko

Nov 2, 2010
    York Yorkshire
    He's about 18months now, luckily no children, i think he might have got the picture that he isn't the boss thats why he decided to take it out on looby. I cant understand it to be honest, he really is normally a big softy. He actually thinks i'm one of them as he dances around me. Maybe he just doesn't like my mum. Whats the best way to show them who's boss without harming them? Thanks

5. mkhenderson17

mkhenderson17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Some roos just get an attitude and act like idiots once in a while. My RIR roo is the calmest roo 98% of the time but once every few months he goes after my mom, she hits him with the feed bucket and then he is fine. We had another roo who just got really mean as he got older. Just depends on your roo.

My bantam roo gives us problems more often than my RIR roo. We take a squirt gun with us, he hates it! Since I started this he rarely gives us problemes but still cant trust him. Like my Ag teacher said, Cant trust any intact male of any species [​IMG] (sry guys, mainly referring to animals, however my teach was not lol) No matter how u look at it, his job it to protect his hens, usually a good roo can be good but NEVER completely trust him.

Good Luck

6. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a RIR roo that attacked anyone wearing a green shirt with black or brown pants. He even spurred buckets and flower pots we carried.

7. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    My RIR hen attacked me 3 times when she was first moved to the coop. I'm pretty sure she was challenging me in her new space. I took her and carried her around for a few days and she got the message. It's been 2 months since that's happened and she would never do that now.

8. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    Sorry that happened. I have no advice, but I CAN see the makings of a new TV show... "The Chicken Whisperer" [​IMG]

9. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    mean roo = stew pot or freezer camp

10. YoYofranko

Nov 2, 2010
    York Yorkshire
    Quote:Oh no i couldn't do that to my Rodney, he's my favourate. Do cockerels even taste good?

He will have to go if he doesn't behave himself as he cant live with me as i live in the city, i don't think my mum will put up with that everyday, she rang me, not very happy about it. I knew after hearing all the horror story's off people about cockerels, it was to good to be true. We chose a RIR because we wanted a friendly boy, oh well at least we'll still have our araucana Claude, he's to much of a wet leg to even come within a meter of a person lol. Thanks everyone x

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by