Why did my duck "Hee Haw"?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lauren3321, Oct 13, 2012.

1. lauren3321

lauren3321 Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2010
    Sheridan
    I have a young mallard drake. He lives with my chickens. This morning I heard him hee haw, like a donkey but I wasn't sure that I really actually heard it so I just went on my routine. But then I saw him arch his neck and do it again. Has anyone ever heard of this? He is a quirky little duck but I just want to make sure it isn't a cough or something serious. I will try to get it on video if I can. Anyone?

2. Blondiega1

Blondiega1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Dallas, Ga.
    Identity crisis? [​IMG]

3. clbarley

clbarley Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Clatskanie, Oregon
    He is probably trying to crow like a chicken lol

4. fowl farm

fowl farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2012
    Lol, my Mallard drake does it too! It's startling, isn't it? I still haven't found out why, but I think it might have to do with the girls. I wonder if it really wins their hearts?

5. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    I have heard my Khaki drake make a similar sound. I likened it to more like a poor imitation of a portion of a American bittern's call.[​IMG]

6. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    It's probably a courtship display :) They kind of look like they are trying to get rid of something stuck in their throat, doing that odd neck movement. It's often accompanied by a high pitched whistle and maybe then walking in a circle with their neck stuck out. One of my young drakes does this too. Sounds like your boy just has some romance on his mind :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by