Why did my hen die?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mrswuwucachu, Mar 12, 2017.

1. mrswuwucachu

mrswuwucachu New Egg

Mar 12, 2017
    One of my Rhoad Island Reds was very lethagic and ust sleeping in the stall not roosting. After noticing this on day 2 or so i brought her inside to watch and was going to give her yogurt tonight. When my husband went to check on her he found her dead.

She had been having white and green diarrhea and when she was found she had pooped liquid white and vomited some dark liquid.

Any idea what happened? I want to make sure the rest of my flock is ok especially since i have a broody in another stall who's eggs should be hatching in 2 to 3 days.

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Sorry for your Loss and Welcome! How old was your hen? How was her weight? What color was her comb? Give all the info you can and you might get better help.

3. mrswuwucachu

mrswuwucachu New Egg

Mar 12, 2017

Weight was maybe 6 pounds or so. Not sure, i think she had lost some weight but hard to tell as i have 3 rir and they look the same. Comb seemed tk be the same color maybe a bit darker than normal and 10 monyhs old

4. ShellyBear

ShellyBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Mites maybe, or worms?

5. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Well I never weigh the chicken I just feel the breast bone etc to feel if there is nothing but bones or a healthy feeling chicken. Someone above mentioned worms-----been there----I lost 29 in about 3 weeks before I got my test results from the State Lab back and started treating----"worst" tape worm problem they had ever seen----They Said. I started worming ASAP in stages of about 100 +/- at a time---saved the other 1000+/-. Might not be your problem---its really hard to guess whats wrong with YOUR chicken over the internet. I will say this The Vet said it would not hurt to treat all my chickens for worms----whether they got worms or not---so even now if I feel their weight is down-----they get wormed----My chickens stay healthy looking.

6. zephyricle

zephyricle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2017
    California
    Had she been eating? I would say possible digestion issues, maybe something blocked up that kept food from digesting correctly.

7. mrswuwucachu

mrswuwucachu New Egg

Mar 12, 2017
    Weight was definitely down and she hadn't been eating

8. mrswuwucachu

mrswuwucachu New Egg

Mar 12, 2017

There had been some coughing in the flock a week prior. Do you think that had any link to this and what do you worm with

9. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I have had my chickens to sneeze/cough etc---But only when they are eating. I worm with fenbendazole---(Safeguard goat Wormer---what My Vet recommended----the Only wormer I use anymore ) I can tell you how I use it if you decide to worm.

10. mrswuwucachu

mrswuwucachu New Egg

Mar 12, 2017

Yes please. I don't want to loos another chicken (have one starting to act a bit off today) and with chickcs about to be hatched i want to get a jump on things. How long of hold period do you do

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by