1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why did my hen die?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Gamebird7, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Gamebird7

Gamebird7 New Egg

Aug 10, 2010
    Hi all. I have a old English hen that just hatched her first clutch about a month ago. I went out this morning to check the yard and found her dead in the box where she sets on the chicks at night. None of the 8 chicks were harmed in any way. She was on her back. No feathers missing or any marks or lesions on her body. No signs of sickness. I've raised game chickens for a long time and never had this happen. Wondering if anyone on here has any info or suggestions. Thanks for any replies

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Even with an autopsy it may be very difficult to determine the cause of death. An otherwise healthy and active bird that dies suddenly is likely to have had a heart attack.

3. Gamebird7

Gamebird7 New Egg

Aug 10, 2010
    Ok thanks

4. Gamebird7

Gamebird7 New Egg

Aug 10, 2010
    Can a chicken die from a spider bite or something like that?

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    That may be possible, it would be hard to prove though. I had one of my hens die the same was as yours not took long ago - toes up in the nest box, in good condition with food in her crop :/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by