Why did my hen nip my leg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cheep, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Cheep

Cheep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Sebastopol, CA
    I was out this morning with bare legs, feeding & watering my small flock of 6 hens. Daisy, the larger white leghorn, made a few feints at my leg as if wondering if it would taste good, then took a nip. Luckily she didn't break skin, but it was unpleasant for me. Does she think I'm lower in the pecking order than her, or what?? I got mad at her & stomped toward her, just out of reflex. What should I do? Put on trousers in the morning?

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Mine do this to ask me to pet them. They tug on my clothes, nip at me, whatever they can, including jump on me when I'm crouched or bending.

"Pet me, pet me, PUH-LEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ!!!!?"

3. Cheep

Jul 17, 2010
    Sebastopol, CA
    I've had my hens about 10 weeks, & so far they're not big on me petting them. Some are more friendly than others, but they mainly see me as food source. Of course, maybe that's a bit mutual [​IMG]

4. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Then it's probably trying to figure out which is the right spot to peck to make the pinata toss grapes!!

5. serendipityfarm

serendipityfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2010
    Connecticut
    I have a couple that continuously grab fingers, pants, shoelaces, etc. I don't think they mean harm, they are just looking for snacks. I just swat them away, and if stomping AT them (as opposed to ON them) works and they get the picture, do what works!

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Your voracious gal was going after that pesky freckle!

7. CindyG

CindyG Chillin' With My Peeps

I have to be careful of the tattoo on my ankle, they keep thinking it must be something to eat.

8. Cheep

Jul 17, 2010
    Sebastopol, CA
    Thanks for the replies; I think I was taking it too personally [​IMG]

9. LivinNewDreamInND

LivinNewDreamInND Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Mine peck at any little freckle, scratch or mosquito bite I have on me. God forbid I go into their pen with toe nail polish and my polka dot flip flops, they all take turns distracting me and then the others peck my feet. [​IMG] Little brats! [​IMG]

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Do you have freckles, or is she hungry for protein? Don't fall down or it may be all over. Just like the famous "Death Scene in the Broiler Coop."[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by