Why did my new layer, lay one egg and then stop?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by smallbluejellybean, Oct 18, 2013.

1. smallbluejellybean

smallbluejellybean Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    Kings Park NSW Australia
    It's spring here in Australia.
    The days are getting longer and it is heating up. We have had quite a few really hot days.
    I have three pullets.
    The black sex link started laying at the beginning of the week, but it has been days since without another one.
    She keeps making a nest in the nesting box and sits there in the mornings, looking like she is trying to lay.
    What could be the problem. The other two, a RIR and a New Hampshire haven't started laying yet.
    I am getting worried about the BSL. Could she have the egg stuck in there?
    The rest of the day she eats and does her usually stuff and she doesn't seem to be in distress at all.
    Has anyone got any ideas on what is going on please?

2. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    Hi there, I'm in Australia too so I know what hot days are like. When a hen is first starting to lay it takes a little while to settle into a routine of regular laying (assuming they have a good diet). I doubt she has an egg stuck. If she did she probably wouldn't be eating and acting normal.

3. smallbluejellybean

smallbluejellybean Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    Kings Park NSW Australia
    That's what I thought too. She always has layer pellets available to her. She also gets kitchen scraps daily and free ranges the 1/4 block. No hiding places for her to lay anywhere else, but her nesting box. I can't understand why she acts if she is going to lay, but doesn't if there isn't an egg in her?

4. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by