Why did my polish chick die?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Quailcks, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Quailcks

Quailcks Just Hatched

Dec 21, 2016
    I had a little polish chick named Copper that I bought a few days ago along with 4 other chicks from a small backyard breeder. They were all fine and dandy till I woke up this morning and found Copper dead. Anyone know what could've caused this?:(

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    It simply may have just been a little weaker than the rest and couldn't catch up. Young chicks are so susceptible to temperature extremes or changes, etc. Sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Transition stress can be hard on chicks...movement from one place to another.

Usually it is latent bacterial infection in the gut left over from hatching. (The process of hatching itself can create the environment for a slowly closing abdominal cavity to harbor bacteria).

Also, pure bred chickens, especially those with the more unusual features, have been selected for appearances more than hardiness. I find my purebreds to be the most temperamental.

The only other thing to watch out for is coccidiosis, which can crop up in young chicks with transition stress.

While a little young, if the chick did not have a strong constitution, and had been exposed to the oocyts on the breeder's property, it may have kicked in.

Watch your other chicks. If any of them begin to stand around looking lethargic and ruffled, it may be coccidiosis (a protazoan overload). Medicated feed is a good thing to have them on to prevent overgrowth until they are old enough for the bodies to naturally handle it.

The other thought is make sure your brooder temps are good...neither too warm or too cold. The heat lamp should be located in a place where the chicks can easily reach but leave if they get too warm. Do not have the lamp over the water bowl as that can create bacterial and coccidial growth.

Sadly, some just are not strong enough to survive.

I'm sorry for your loss of Copper. [​IMG]

LofMc

4. Quailcks

Quailcks Just Hatched

Dec 21, 2016
    My brooder temps are perfect, I'm actually proud of myself for it. But you're most likely right. She was the smallest she just might not have been strong enough/ok internally. She was completely ok with no symptoms of anything so I don't think it was anything major but I'll still keep an eye on the rest of the babies

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by