1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Why did my Rooster stamp his feet??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Whimsy, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Whimsy

Whimsy Songster

Mar 21, 2010
    Cecilia KY
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4451295#p4451295

The
    link above is a earlier post I posted to give you all some background.

Today I felt brave and brought one of my BO into the new guys side. She is one of my lead hens and seemed not to mind the new birds. She looked around and went into the dog carrier found a piece of bread in it so was happy. She walked around not paying a lot of attention to the new ones. One of the new hens came too close and the BO pecked her. Gosh Orlie my bantam Roo got all flustered and went after the BO. After all that calmed down, he stayed in between the BO and new ones when ever the BO got too close he fluffed all up and stomped his feet?

OK in my human mind it seemed as if he was protecting the new birds, was he? I am new to all this drama sso input is great.

2. I love watching a rooster's behavior. They always find whatever they are doing 'just' and typically act on impuse. Yes, what he was doing was showing dominance, in short. Roosters stomp to tell their competition (whoever is in earshot) that "I'm better than you!" He was protecting his flock from the bird he does not yet know.

3. detali

detali Songster

May 9, 2009
    Roosters are very funny sometimes.

Just yesterday mine went into one of the unused nesting boxes and with the weirdest voice tried to call of of his girls into it. She was wanting to use one that was occupied by someone else.

Or when one of my girls was laying her first egg, he stood just outside the nest and like a proud papa to be, was coaxing her, encouraging her.

4. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Songster

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    My Red rooster doesn't like me, [​IMG] so he follows me around when I do my chores making sure I don't 'get into trouble'.
    So that leaves my Fluffy rooster with my only adult hen... so then the little buggar tries to breed her while Red is on the other side of the yard with me. When he does that the hen shreaks and Red hears it, Red makes a prehistoric raptor groan and goes running toward the other two, then Red knocks Fluffy off of her and raptor groans again. (Hackles all puffed up and everything) Then Fluffy runs to me for support and protection [​IMG]

For reforance:
    Red: NHR, 9lbs.
    Fluffy: Silkie X Rosecomb, 4 lbs.
    Penny (hen): Australorp, 6 lbs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by