why did my Ruen die??? Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 3Ducks, Sep 1, 2014.

1. 3Ducks

3Ducks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2012
    I had a 2 year old Ruen that I rescued 8 months ago..she is kept with 2 male and 4 female Muskovies, I am out to see them 2 times a day..2 days ago I noticed her off to side keeping to herslf, I didnt think much ofit.....let them outbyesterday morning for a few hours..let then back in, duck was walking fine..went away for the whole day..came back and the duck was lethargic laying down with ther head towards ground in the shed ..I knew something was wrong emediatly when I tried to catch her and she did nothing..I went to emergency, by the time I got ther she was dead..there was a smell of rot when I took her..I set her in garage to bury her the next day and flipped her over and there was Maggotts on her behind underneath.I feel so bad. How did I miss this??? What the heck happened to her??

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  3. 3Ducks

3Ducks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2012
    After reading up on fly strike that is what is sounds like what happened to her..I feel so bad..I did not see no flyes around her..like I said I am with them 2 times a day..how could I have missed this...thanks for the info

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I am with my chickens several times a day, and have my coffee out with them. I don't think I wouldn't have seen it either. Sometimes symtoms are so vague.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by