Why did my Sebrights die?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bckyrdchknluvr, Jul 11, 2011.

1. bckyrdchknluvr

bckyrdchknluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    [​IMG] I got 25 "Silkie" eggs and I had three Sebrights hatch along with 12 Silkies and a silkie sebright cross. The Sebrights seemed a lot smaller, but healthy. I have been paranoid as these are my first hatch. Yeserday I looked in the brooder( I look at least once an hour) and one of my 3 Sebrights is dead and another one is dying. This morning the last one seemed to be doing really well. When I came home from work it was dead too. Or could it be from the fact that they were just so tiny. They were about 3/4 of the size of the Silkies. The silkies are 1-2 days and the sebrights were between 1-4 days old. They looked like maybe they could have been squashed by the larger Silkies. Did I kill my poor little guys by putting them in together? I did not expect to get sebrights, so I know very little about this breed. I don't want this to happen again if I can avoid it. I'm already heartbroken over this loss. Any help at all would be truly appreciated.

2. DrinkTheRainbow

DrinkTheRainbow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Altoona, Wisconsin
    I don't think it's your fault. I think it could be the birds. My larger birds often just do whatever they want and just sit down or run and jump on each other so it could just be that they were over playing or they were huddling too close and squashed each other.

3. Lil'ChickFarm

Lil'ChickFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    I don't know why they died, but I do understand your heart break.[​IMG]

4. bckyrdchknluvr

bckyrdchknluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Thank you. I had another Sebright hatch tonight, but I am going to leave it with the Silkie that hatched it to see if being with "mom" helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by