Why did my silkie die?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by flockmarket, Nov 11, 2011.

1. flockmarket

flockmarket Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2011
    So today I found my lavender silkie rooster dead, sad day, but it was weird, the other silkie I had died ofthe same thing, a neck twisted backwards. I'm not quite sure what's going on, but I'm wonderin I theirs a disease that only affects silkies? Also, if not, why would he die like that?

2. flockmarket

flockmarket Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2011
    Also, the rest of the hens seem fine although they havnt been laying a single egg for months.

3. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Do you have any openings at all in the coop? If so did something kill them from the air? So Sorry

4. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    I'm so sorry for your loss. [​IMG] , I was wondering something, when an animal dies, the neck and head stretches up and over the back, its part of the rigor it a natural part of the dieing process. Did you find him passed away already or was he showing that symtom before he died? Did he have any injuries that you noticed? I just had a silkie mix chick die of the cold, she wasn't showing signs of illness and everyone else is fine that was in the same pen. It got really cold, rainy, and windy here and Im sure she got wet and then chilled. How old are your silkies? My Hens are around 2 years old and i have 3 pullets that that just started to lay but have quit I think do to the weather changing. In fact all my girls have really slowed down with the cold snap + everyone is molting right now. Sandy

5. Silkie-lover33

Silkie-lover33 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm guessing wry neck which is pretty common in silkies (because of their vaulted skulls). Wry neck can be caused by vitamin/nutritional deficiency or brain damage, but is usually not fatal [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by