why did my silkie do this?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gapeachy, Feb 21, 2009.

1. gapeachy

gapeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    my silkie layed about 15 eggs in her nest then she went broody and set on them for about 4 days...then yesterday she came off and did not go back on them....why would she do that?

2. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    I'm not trying to be ugly....but....silkies aren't all there!!!! I love my silkies I really do. But sometimes they do the absolute strangest things! My silkie sat across from a duck that was sitting on eggs and everytime that duck got up my silkie would roll one or two of her eggs over and sit on them. Then when the silkie would get up to eat or poop the mama duck would go over (quacking and carrying on like crazy!!) and take back her eggs!!! My poor silkie would just sit down and wait mama duck out again! She was sooo upset when the eggs started hatching so my husband put when of the hatching eggs under her and let her "hatch" it! She bossed that little baby duck around like it was her own! Mama duck wasn't very happy.......

3. gapeachy

gapeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    lol that is funny....they are really odd...I only have 2 and I think both are hens so if her eggs would have hatched the dominique rooster i have would been the dad because he is only thing I have seen top her...

4. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    I have to admit that I only bought silkies for the entertainment factor. Yes they are cute...but just watching them is fun!!! I had one that we used to bring in the house and she would watch tv from our laps. She was a sweetie!!! I have 2 new ones and and 2 new frizzles arriving next week and I just can't wait!!! Even as chicks they are different than regular chickens....

5. poohevans

poohevans Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    north west georgia
    hi

ive had duck hens set sitting on eggs then a couple days later

they would stop sitting and would make me sooo mad

because i usually set eggs in incubator

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by