Why did my turkey attack!!!!!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PoulyWerrinFarm, Oct 29, 2014.

1. PoulyWerrinFarm

PoulyWerrinFarm New Egg

Jul 3, 2014
    I have a year old male bronze turkey, two hens with two chicks. They are in the same pen with different breeds of chickens but sleep in a different coop at night. They get on fine with each other and never had any problems reli. Yesterday I went to the annual maamcross market and seen very healthy white turkeys for sale. I was delighted to see such nice birds for sale and considered buying two hens for breeding with my bronze turkey at home. I then thought mabey two hens might over crowd the turkey coop so I just bought one, brought her home and put her in the pen with all my other birds. I kept watch over them and everything was sound. Later that evening I closed the coops as normal with the white turkey in with the others. This morning I was sickened when I open the turkey coop, there was blood on the door and walls. The new hen was faceing the corner with her head badly injured. I took her indoors, cleaned her up and applied anti bacterial cream to her injuries. Thankfully her eyes were untouched and she is eating, drinking and acting normal. It was the male that did the damage. I dont understand his behavior because I've had him from an egg, he's never shown any aggression in the past and he did'nt attack the other hens when they were introduced. Can someone please shine a bit of light on this problem? I dont want to get rid of my turkeys but this behavior has left a very sour taste in my mouth

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Like chickens, you put a stark different breed in with others. Breeds that are too different in size and color can cause lots of problems in a pecking order. The strong survive and the weak get picked on.

3. PoulyWerrinFarm

PoulyWerrinFarm New Egg

Jul 3, 2014
    I understand the pecking order for chickens but thought it might be slighty different for turkeys because of their wider range of vocals. Do you have any suggestions as to integrate a new turkey in with an excisting flock?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by