Why did my Welsummer die?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Shasty57, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Shasty57

Shasty57 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2013
    SW Iowa
    I have a small flock of backyard chickens. 11 young hens and 1 rooster that I have raised in my home from 2 or 3 days old. My Welsummer, Summer was 28 weeks old, laying 4 or 5 eggs a week, eating good, running around and playing with the rest of the girls.
    She enjoyed her treats and looked very healthy and beautiful. Clear eyes, no runny nose, no sign of any illness. On Friday when I went to put them away for the night, Summer was outside of their 50 x 50 foot chicken yard. As soon as I let her in the gate,
    she ran to the water and starting drinking. I did not see anything wrong with her and I put them all in their 16x16 foot enclosed chicken pen which is attached to their chicken house. When I let them out on Saturday morning, I didn't notice any problems with
    Summer but I couldn't find her at first yesterday afternoon. She was laying under the tree and when I started to pick her up, she got up and walked away, seemingly fine. I thought maybe she was starting to go broody as she was laying in a box when I locked them up last night. Today when I let them out, she was laying next to the water in the enclosed chicken pen dying. I picked her up and she was barely breathing and she looked at me, closed her eyes and died. Please give me an idea of what could have happened to my sweet Summer. All of my other chickens appear healthy. I feed Layena (pellets), give them only healthy types of treats ie. watermelon, apples, pears, etc. and they also get Chicken Scratch at night for a treat to get them into their covered enclosure (16x16 foot covered dog kennel). Any help would be appreciated.

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Unfortunately there is really no way to know without doing a necropsy. Perhaps she ate something bad or poisonous or she just had something going on internally. Anything would be just a guess. Sometimes they show symptoms that point us in the right direction, other times they just die having shown little or no symptoms and leaving us guessing. They are so good at hiding their illness until they just can't do it anymore. Sorry you lost her.

3. Shasty57

Apr 3, 2013
    SW Iowa
    Thank you for your response. I have been scouring the illness threads and I keep seeing Marek's disease. She had no symptoms of this horrible disease so hopefully not that. I already buried her so no necropsy will be possible. I suppose I will watch the rest of my girls even closer than I do and watch for anything unusual. Since Summer had gotten out and about on Friday, I think she may have ate something she shouldn't have. :( She was in the bean field and possibly the timber. We live in the country and I thought the hawks and 4 legged critters were my biggest threat to my chickies. Thanks again and if I figure out what happened or have any other babies get sick, I will post it.

4. Shasty57

Apr 3, 2013
    SW Iowa
    Opps, I am new to this and posted same question twice. Sorry...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by